New pet parents often find themselves wondering, “When should my Shih-Tzu puppy sleep through the night?” It’s a very valid question! Having a new puppy can feel like having a new baby, with frequent waking and crying in the middle of the night when you first bring them home. Here’s the scoop on when you might be able to get better sleep, plus why your dog is waking at night and how to help them sleep for longer periods of time.
My Puppy Played All Day, so Why Aren’t They Sleeping?
There can be a few different reasons why your puppy isn’t able to settle down and get into a good sleeping pattern:
- If you just brought your Shih-Tzu pup home, they can be unfamiliar with the new surroundings. The new sights, smells, and sounds can either be frightening or overstimulating, not allowing them to settle and sleep.
- This is their first time away from their mom and siblings. They’ve just spent eight weeks cuddled up to mom and siblings for all their sleep, so the new environment can feel isolating.
- Puppies are small, so you can imagine their bladders are tiny. They need to use the bathroom throughout the night until they grow large enough to hold it through the night.
You can help your Shih-Tzu or Shih-Tzu mix adjust to sleeping through the night. The most important things you can provide include:
- A comfortable place to sleep
- Plenty of exercise throughout the day
- Final potty breaks right beforehand to make sure they’ve both urinated and defecated before bedtime
- Close proximity to you
- Something to chew on to help them settle and release anxiety
Bottom Line – When Should My Shih-Tzu Puppy Sleep Through the Night?
You can expect your puppy to begin sleeping through the night around 16 weeks, or four months, of age. If your puppy is supported, that timeline may be even shorter. But, it can take about 16 weeks to have their bladder under control, so they may be more settled into sleep but may still need potty breaks.
Love My Puppy Is Here to Support You and Your Shih-Tzu Puppy in Boca Raton!
At Love My Puppy we offer a large selection of custom puppy beds to get your pooch as comfortable as can be, which will lead you to your best night’s sleep! Shop our selection of amazing pet beds online now, or visit our pet store for a new Shih-Tzu puppy and all the supplies you need to bring them home with you!